google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday July 1, 2012 John Lieb

Advertisements

Jul 1, 2012

Sunday July 1, 2012 John Lieb

Theme: When Worlds Collide - The "World" in each theme entry is replaced by another word. (Correction: World can precede and follow the below green-highlighted word in each theme entry.)

24A. View from much of the Oregon coast? : WATER WITHOUT END. Water world. World Without End, the Ken Follett novel JD/Lemonade loves. I think Haltool is a fan too.

36A. What Ceylon, Siam and Upper Volta are nowadays? : DEAD TO THE ATLAS. Dead to the World. World Atlas.Irish Miss/Lucina might know this book.

51A. List of The Duke's films? : WAYNE'S HISTORY. Wayne's World. World history.

68A. Double eagle in a PGA event? : SHOT HEARD 'ROUND THE TOUR. Shot heard 'round the world. Bobby Thomson's home run. "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!". World tour.

89A. Battleship game setting? : SEA OF WARCRAFT. SeaWorld. World of Warcraft.

101A. Hank Aaron's 715th home run, at the time? : BRAVE NEW RECORD. Brave New World. Aaron was with the Braves at the time (1974). Plus, it's indeed a brave record, as he received lots of hate mail and even death threats. I like this clue a lot. World record.

119A. Pneumatic tube in a drive-thru? : WONDER OF THE BANK. Wonder of the World. World bank.

I think this is John Lieb's LA Times debut. And a Sunday. Congratulations! What a wonderful achievement.

Love the fill today. Lively and clean. The clues are entertaining too, esp these few:

106A. Character in "Scooby-Doo"? : HYPHEN. Got me.

11D. Lemon aids? : TOWS. Not something eye-related to aid our Lemonade.

44D. Runner down under? : STYX. River of Hades.

Across:

1. Spruce (up) : SPIFF. And 101D. Strengthened, with "up" : BEEFED

6. Employees with many perks? : BARISTAS. I sure was not thinking of coffee when I read "perks".

14. 45 holder : SLEEVE

20. Mother-of-pearl : NACRE. This and ETUI are two crossword words I learned very early on.

21. Intimate : ONE TO ONE

22. Really well-off : LOADED. So shocked Katie Holmes is divorcing Tom Cruise. They were such a happy couple.

23. "You __ big trouble, mister!" : ARE IN

26. Kid-friendly, in a way : RATED G

28. Country singer who was an 8-year-old "Star Search" contestant : RIMES (LeAnn). Did not know this trivia.

29. Yank : TUG

30. Delight at the comedy club : SLAY. Who doesn't like Louis C.K.?

31. Site of the first cover-up? : EDEN. Nice clue. Fig leaf cover-up.

32. Rise: Abbr. : INCR

34. He appointed Sandra to the Supreme Court : RONALD (Reagan)

41. Racetrack sounds : NEIGHS

45. Comic Amsterdam : MOREY. Of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

46. Board-certified talk show host : DR. OZ. Google shows he's certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.

47. Attribute : TRAIT

48. Pop-up ads, e.g. : COME-ONS

55. Do impressions of : APE

56. Wrong : NOT SO

58. 2002 Streisand album : DUETS. See the cover. Another unknown to me.

59. Latin law : LEX

60. "Bohemian Rhapsody" addressee : MAMA. Not my favorite Queen's song.

62. Browning and more : POETS

66. Carp cousins : DACES. Carp is a popular food fish in China.

76. Tall, dark and handsome : MANLY.What? I always associate MANLY with just masculine. Macho guy, not necessary "Tall, dark and handsome".

77. Actress Zellweger : RENEE

78. Sheet of stamps : PANE

79. Subside : EBB

82. Petal picker's word : LOVES

84. "It follows that ..." : AND SO

88. With it : HIP

94. Spicy stews : RAGOUTS

96. "Fun, Fun, Fun" car : T-BIRD. The Beach Boys.

97. Savvy about : ONTO

98. Possessive in many church names : PAUL'S. St. Paul's, right?

99. Triangular soil deposits : DELTAS

108. __ Domini : ANNO

109. Samoa's largest city : APIA. And capital.

110. "The Cosby Show" son : THEO

113. U.K. award : OBE. Order of the British Empire.

114. Oro y __: Montana's motto : PLATA

117. Alaska's __ Sound : NORTON. Never heard of it before, Spitzboov!

123. Intertwines yarn : KNITS

124. "Later, dude" : I'M GONE

125. High standing : EMINENCE

126. "Star-cross'd" lover : ROMEO. Why Star-cross'd rather than "Star-crossed"?

127. Battle of Thermopylae victor, 480 B.C. : XERXES. I bet Jayce nailed this one. The Persian king in "300". He creeps me out.

128. Utter failure : DISASTER

129. Trim : ADORN

Down:

1. Trapped : SNARED

2. Float site : PARADE

3. Lipton product : ICE TEA. Now I'm used to its D-less form.

4. Facebook request : FRIEND ME. Man, you can waste lots of time there.

5. Repel, with "off" : FEND

6. Katniss's weapon in "The Hunger Games" : BOW. Has any of you read or watched "The Hunger Games"?

7. Lawless state : ANARCHY

8. Hang up the spikes : RETIRE

9. Paparazzi's target : ITEM

10. Ticked off : SORE

12. Singer DiFranco : ANI

13. Scrapes : SET-TOS

14. The 1973 Mets' "Ya Gotta Believe!," e.g. : SLOGAN. Coined by Tug McGraw, father of Tim
McGraw.

15. Hoover's wife : LOU. I don't know. But isn't LOU a man's name?

16. Humbly apologizes : EATS DIRT

17. Pulitzer-winning biographer Leon : EDEL. This entry appeared a lot a lot in the old Wayne R. Williams puzzle. Always clued as "Henry James biographer".

18. __ cava : VENA

19. Vortex : EDDY. Hi there hockey nut Vortex!

25. Barbarian : HUN

27. "Buon __": Italian greeting : GIORNO. Italians are so passionate. Asians are rather reserved.

33. Explosive trial : N-TEST

34. Flattened : RAZED

35. "Decisions, decisions ..." : LET'S SEE

37. Homer, for one : TOON

38. Oral health org. : ADA

39. "__ and stop me!" : TRY

40. Horror star Chaney : LON

42. London lockup : GAOL. I often wonder if Splynter's English has a slight British accent.

43. Bring aboard : HIRE

48. "Overhead" engine parts : CAMS

49. Moonfish : OPAH

50. It might be cc'd : MEMO. I don't like G-mail. It doesn't show clearly whether an email is CC'ed to others.

51. Cord under a tarp : WOOD. I don't get this clue. (Added later: firewood. Thanks for the answer, everyone.)

52. Abrupt : SUDDEN

53. Word with gas or oil : HEAT

54. Dry skin tip-off : ITCH

57. More agile : SPRYER. Sprier feels more right to me.

61. Dough-dispensing convenience, briefly : ATM

63. Overcharge, say : ERR. I wonder what makes a Tom Ford lipstick so expensive. It doesn't feel special to me, except the package.

64. Turf __: common football injury : TOE

65. Important star : SUN

67. Gas additive brand : STP

69. Like some kindergarten programs : HALF-DAY

70. Plenty, in verse : ENOW

71. Menlo Park middle name : ALVA. Thomas Alva Edison.

72. Clutter-free : NEAT

73. Iolani Palace site : OAHU. JD visited the Palace before.

74. Condo, e.g. : UNIT

75. Set components : REPS

79. Cornerstone abbr. : ESTD

80. Nixon confidant Rebozo : BEBE

81. Judge's setting : BAIL

83. Disdain : SCORN

85. Haggard : DRAWN

86. The lord in "The Lord of the Rings" : SAURON. For Jazzbumpa.

87. Stare at rudely : OGLE

90. Like many faithful adherents : ORTHODOX

91. Genetic material : RNA

92. Off-rd. ride : ATV

93. One who isn't with us : FOE

95. Movie props? : OSCAR NOD. Great answer.

98. Hail Marys, often : PENANCE

100. Future ferns : SPORES

102. Floating : NATANT. New word to me. Natant

103. Cigar brand that comes in grape and peach flavors : OPTIMO. Did not know this. But I was shocked to find an cigarette ad in our Sunday's Parade magazine a few weeks ago.

104. Violent protester : RIOTER

105. Ted of "CSI" : DANSON

107. "Game of Thrones" airer : HBO

110. Chocolate caramel bar : TWIX

111. Parcheesi destination : HOME. Never played Parcheesi.

112. Rocket scientist, e.g.: Abbr. : ENGR

114. Frat letters : PHIS

115. Jazzy Horne : LENA

116. Fivers : ABES

118. Cajun staple : OKRA. I saw Okra chips in our local grocery store the other day. Looks tasty.

120. Topeka-to-Peoria dir. : ENE

121. "Ew, I didn't need that mental picture!" : TMI

122. Plunk preceder : KER

Answer grid.

Thanks for the nice birthday wishes yesterday! I won't be here next weekend due to a big family reunion out of the town. Steve will guide you through next Sunday's puzzle.

C.C.

54 comments:

Nick said...

You're actually only half-right C.C, BOTH parts of each theme answer can precede/follow WORLD: Waterworld, World without end; dead to the world, world atlas; wayne's world, world history; shot heard round the world, world tour; sea world, world of warcraft; brave new world, world record; wonder of the world, bank world.

Hope you still get a chance to do next Sunday's crossword, it's delicious!

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Took awhile to do this one! When I (finally) sussed out the theme, I noticed the double "world" clues, as you said, Nick. Phew! No cheating, but perps took care of a few unknowns.

Thanks Jay, CC!

CC: Sorry, I did not tune in yesterday to wish you a happy bday. Hope it was great? Did you get chocolate cake? (Just teasing. This is the only acceptable bday dessert for me, but must be a really good cake! Of course, it's Christmas too!)

CC: Firewood is sold in cords.

Off to wage the battle for Morpheus!

Cheers!

fermatprime said...

Whoops--that's John, not Jay! Really a stellar effort!

McPoke said...

Good One today.

CC
Scooby-Doo is hyphenated. So the character in Scooby-Doo is a hyphen.

Well off to enjoy Canada Day.

Cheers

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, C.C. and friends. My initial post got lost in cyberspace.

I figured out the gimmick with WAYNE'S WORLD. I loved the novel, World Without End, so that theme clue came easily.

I especially liked Site of First Coverup = EDEN. Nice fresh clue for a crossword staple.

I must frequent too many coffee shops because BARISTAS came to me immediately upon reading the clue.

Judge's Setting = BAIL was a good clue.

Cord Under a Tarp = WOOD almost fooled me.

I initially had Eats Crow instead of EATS DIRT.

I, too, find Louis CK to be funny.

QOD: Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect. ~ Benny Hill

Lemonade714 said...

Interesting about the “world” going both ways, which makes collision more meaningful, but BANK WORLD does nothing for me, oh never mind, it is WORLD BANK. Anyway, I did love many fresh clues: 106A. Character in "Scooby-Doo"? : HYPHEN; 6A. Employees with many perks? : BARISTAS; 31A. Site of the first cover-up? : EDEN;
82A. Petal picker's word : LOVES; and speaking of LOVES, who would not love a puzzle with this clue….11D. Lemon aids? : TOWS.

Enjoy your reunion C.C. ; has there been a week since January 2008 where you did not blog at least one puzzle?

Rabbit, rabbit enjoy July all.

Irish Miss said...

Good morning:

I liked this puzzle a lot but had some difficulty in a couple of areas so had to use one or two red-letters. Liked the clues for tows, Eden, wood, Styx, and bail. I never heard eats dirt, just eats crow. Anyway, thanks John and thanks CC for a neat expo.

I am a big fan of Ken Follett's World Without End and am looking forward to part two in September. However, Dead to the World would not interest me as I don't read supernatural, occult, or science fiction.

Happy Sunday and July 1!

JD said...

Buon giorno C.C. et al,

So many clever clues in this one, and always at the end of the week, I need those red letters.I'm glad it doesn't beep at me when I start typing in a wrong word. It could get very noisy.

Had never heard of Tom Ford. Pretty snazzy stuff, C.C. $48 for a lipstick? They say it is "formulated with rare and exotic ingredients", making it extra creamy.LOL

Anyone else remember saying your 5 or 10 Hail Marys as fast as possible with no remorse for talking back to your mother?

Irish Miss, Winter of the World is the 2nd in the Century Trilogy. Fall of Giants was the 1st in that series. Pillars of the Earth (best book ever) and World Without End go together.

Irish Miss said...

JD @ 10:03 ~ Thanks for the correction. I know perfectly well that World Without End and Pillars of the Earth go together but, apparently, my brain is still asleep this morning.

JD said...

hot off the press: Tom Ford designed Alec Baldwin's suit for his marriage to his yoga instructor.

Lucina said...

Buon GIORNO, C.C. and all. I hope you had a terrific birthday yesterday, C.C.

Whew! I sashayed through some and slogged through other parts of this remarkable puzzle. Thank you, John Lieb!

My Naticks were names, EDEL, SAURON, ANI, and NORTON sound. Some are familiar but couldn't recall, others new as I've not seen the movie or read Lord of the Rings. I read The Hunger Games but didn't much care for it.

Now, any book by Ken Follett is a joy and WORLD WITHOUT END sits on my bookshelf. JD, I agree, Pillars of the Earth is the BEST ever. I plan to reread it for the fourth time. Looking forward to the next one in the trilogy.

My daughter likes Charlaine Harris and other horror types which horrifies me!! She is more like her father in many ways. He really liked the occult genre.

Favorite clues:
site of the first cover-up, EDEN
cord under a tarp, WOOD
petal picker's word, LOVES
runner down under, STYX

In Scottsdale there is a night club by that name, STYX.

The only word I know that is related to engine is CAM so that aced 48D!

WARM wishes for a superb Sunday, everyone! Stay cool!!

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, John Lieb, for a great Sunday puzzle. Thank you, as well, C.C., for a great review.

A cord of wood is approximately 4'x4'x8'

Enjoyed this puzzle. Took me a while to finish, however.

The theme came slowly. DEAD TO THE ATLAS was my first answer. That helped with the rest, which helped with the entire puzzle.

NEIGHS was clever for 41A. That area took a while. I had ASSET for 47A for a while. Trait fixed all that.

Had ALL IN for 85D for a spell. Once RAGOUTS appeared DRAWN did also.

116D ABES was clever. I had FINS first.

XERXES for 127A was easy. Enjoy those old warriors.

Off to Glenview for my drill team practice. Went to church last night.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, John Lieb, for a great Sunday puzzle. Thank you, as well, C.C., for a great review.

A cord of wood is approximately 4'x4'x8'

Enjoyed this puzzle. Took me a while to finish, however.

The theme came slowly. DEAD TO THE ATLAS was my first answer. That helped with the rest, which helped with the entire puzzle.

NEIGHS was clever for 41A. That area took a while. I had ASSET for 47A for a while. Trait fixed all that.

Had ALL IN for 85D for a spell. Once RAGOUTS appeared DRAWN did also.

116D ABES was clever. I had FINS first.

XERXES for 127A was easy. Enjoy those old warriors.

Off to Glenview for my drill team practice. Went to church last night.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

Unknown said...

51 D ---- a 'cord' is a measure of fierwood that you might cover with a tarp to keep it dry

LaLaLinda said...

Hi Everyone ~~

To borrow a word from Lucina - "Yowza!" It took me a LONG time to get this one done and I actually didn't really finish. Thanks, C.C. for literally helping me fill in the blanks. I left four cells empty ... I just could not get PLATA, NATANT, SAURON, and OPTIMO. There were lots of others I wasn't sure of, but at least perps helped with those.

I created some of my own problems: at 115D reading 'Horne' as 'Home' - thus making LENA tough to get. ~ trying 'Reagan' at 34A before realizing I needed the FIRST name- RONALD ... agh!

I caught on to the theme with WAYNES HISTORY but didn't realize that the "world" thing was double-sided - wow! A challenging but enjoyable puzzle ... thanks, John Lieb.

C.C. ~ I agree with you on the "manly" description -- I don't think "tall dark and handsome," either.

Some very clever clues today ... a number of them have already been mentioned. I really liked: runner down under / STYX, Lemon aids / TOWS and Movie props / OSCARNOD.

Enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

I believe 68A refers to the double-eagle that Gene Sarazen made in the 1935 Masters.

Anonymous said...

"world without end" has become popular as Follet's title, but aptly, he borrowed it from the Gloria Patri: one of the most common prayers in Catholic, Lutheran, and Anglican churches. It's in the anglican Common Book of Prayer, Eastern Orthodox prayer book, and many other churches liturgy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Patri
http://www.catholicity.com/prayer/prayers.html

River Doc said...

The clue that gave me the theme (and my favorite clue for the obvious reason) was Shot Heard Round the Tour. I still get chills watching Bobby Thomson touch 'em all. Best use of this footage was in the M*A*S*H episode entitled A War for All Seasons.

HeartRx said...

Good morning C.C. et al.

I was scratching my head, trying to figure out the theme. I had filled in WATER WITHOUT END and DEAD TO THE ATLAS, and thought "hmmmm...that is usually "world", not "water" or "atlas"??? Then I glanced at the title again and got the AHA!! water-world, world-atlas. That helped immensely with the other theme entries, all of which I really enjoyed!

I was thinking of Saruman, not SAURON at 86D. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fit it into the six allotted squares...

OPTIMO cigars and OSCAR NOD almost did me in, but I stuck to it and finally figured out PAUL'S (not "Paolo") and BRAVE NEW RECORD to finish that area.

Nice challenge, and a really fun theme. Thanks for a great Sunday puzzle, Mr. Lieb!

Yellowrocks said...

This puzzle took me just slightly longer than a usual Sunday, but I finished it without help which was very satisfying after yesterday's fiasco. I was comforted to find that I was in good company on Saturday with my extended look ups and an eventual DNF.

Today in the beginning I saw only the one WORLD in the theme answer and didn't care for it As soon as I saw WORLD after the first word and again before the second word of the themes I loved it.

We six sibs played Parcheesi endlessly with our mom in the days before we had TV. We also played pinochle, Flinch, Authors, and many board games with her.

We say someone is "DEAD TO THE WORLD" when he is sleeping so soundly he is difficult to waken.

WEES said about the outstanding puns.

BTW , INRE: our discussion of Y'ALL weeks ago, my Georgia Peach friend assures me that it is used only in reference to you in the plural.

Yes, WORLD WITHOUT END immediately brings to my mind the words of the Gloria Patri, "As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end." My father, a Lutheran pastor, jokingly said that these words are the theme song of the stick-in-the muds who are averse to any changes whatsoever. It could be applied to many other change averse people, as well.

Rube said...

A pleasant, doable Sunday morning puzzle with several things new to me.
Didn't know, (or if I did at one time, I forgot), that SAURON was "the lord of the rings". Wanted Sargon at first, but he was Akkadian and a real king.
Always thought dace was singular as well as plural... Wikipedia tells me that DACES is the plural.
Didn't know that a sheet of stamps was called a PANE.
Wondered what a DROZ was. GOOGLE clarified that one. I really should watch more daytime dreck TV to improve my xword skills.
Maybe next time I'll remember ANI DeFranco. She seems to be a regular.
Thought it was "enou". Google corrected that. Must have been because it ryhmes with "thou".
Got hung up on the "A" of OSCARNOD. Just couldn't make anything work for the longest time. Last letter.

First theme answer was DEADTOTHEATLAS. Well, makes sense, kind of. Got the world trick at WAYNESHISTORY. Ashamed to say LOU was a gimme.

Spitzboov said...

Good afternoon everyone. Good comments, C.C.

Happy CANADA DAY to all our friends up North!

Good puzzle today. A little harder than some Sundays. BH helped with last fill, Barista. Great clue! Also liked cluing for HYPHEN and 11d, 'lemon aids' - TOWS. Sussed the theme after a while. Clue for DELTAS reminds us why they're called deltas. Good job, John.

NORTON Sound - Not on everybody's radar. The large embayment south and SW of Nome. It was in the news last winter when much of the Bering Sea iced up early and the pre-winter fuel barge was unable to deliver much needed heating fuel. A USCG icebreaker ended up escorting a Russian fuel tanker to the port of Nome.
Here is a picture of the USS Norton Sound (AVM-1), a seaplane tender which served from WWII into the Cold War.

Udder DISASTER is what happened to the cow that tried to leap over the barbed wire.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Lemon aids? Cars that are lemons often need tows.

Barry G. said...

Hey, all!

Haven't done the puzzle and too tired to think about doing it right now. Got up early (too early, some might say) and had a wonderful breakfast at the Village Pancake House in Rowley, Massachusetts. Then we went to the Todd's Farm Antique Show and Flea Market and found something for everybody. The 90 degree heat really sapped my energy, though, and I'm completely wiped out...

Anonymous said...

Unfamiliar as I am with a literary works mentioned here I took The shot heard round the world to mean the embattled farmers of lexington and concord Who left their cordwood by their barns Rather than that of a honed piece of kentucky ash In the hands of a scottish giant To ground the dodgers in a game other than polo

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. Happy First of July. I liked this puzzle a lot, and only got half the gimmick, failing to see the "collision" of the worlds. Liked it even more once y'all's comments brought it to my attention.

I am SOO embarrassed! Being so fixated on "the 300," I over-eagerly entered SPARTA instead of XERXES, which held me back for far too long in that corner.

I guess that exuberant mistake can be considered to be compensated for by my knowing LOU is Herbert Hoover's wife's name. Here at Stanford, the Lou Henry Hoover library is right next to the Hoover Institution. Yes, one would expect Lou to be a man's name, but here is the exception. I think Lou is not short for Louise.

The one letter that almost prevented me from completing this puzzle today is the T crossing PLATA and NATANT. I tried Y and N and Z, but a little birdie kept whispering "No, that doesn't look right" in my ear. After entering T, which by pure luck was the right letter, I whispered back to that little birdie, "Buddy, that doesn't look right either." Natant has now been added to my vocabulary, at least for a few days until I forget it again.

Jayce said...

I have neither read nor watched The Hunger Games, and it is not on my to-do list. Actually, I'm pleasantly immersed in the world created by Dana Stabenow as I devour her series of Kate Shugak novels.

Another activity I have no interest in engaging in is Facebook. I will not sign up for it, not only because it is such a time-waster but also because of the horror stories I have read about security risks and abuse of private information.

Best wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

anon @1:23: you come across as a really bitter and hateful person. Why not just let whatever it is, go? You`re hurting only yourself. Holding a bitter grudge is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die.

Anonymous said...

Re 51 across. The Dukes films are John Wayne movies, hence Wayne's history.

Yellowrocks said...

CC, Happy Birthday. I hope you had a spectacular day.

Yesterday I attended the Kutztown (PA) Folk Festival with my son and my sister. Both sets of my grandparents were PA Dutch (German). My dad spoke only Dutch (a German dialect) before he went to school.

20 years ago this festival was distinctly Germanic, celebrating the culture and crafts of the PA Dutch. The old time Dutch ran it. Today their sons and daughters are so homogenized and assimilated that they cannot represent the PA Dutch or understand the language.

The piped in music was not Germanic. Much of the food was American, chicken nuggets, hamburgers, hot dogs.

The "Plain Dutch", i.e. Amish and Mennonites, have kept the culture and language, but don't participate. The "Fancy" or "Gay (colorful) Dutch" have become assimilated. This seemed like merely a lightly themed craft fair.

The Germanic crafts are becoming mainstream. I was hoping to connect with my roots. It was kind of disappointing, although I did buy scrapple, crock pudding, and summer bologna (like Lebanon bologna, only better). The shoofly pie was terribly disappointing. There was an old fashioned PA Dutch humorist. That segment was far too short. I don’t know whether I will return.

chin said...

68A reminds me of a project many years ago when they wanted to inexpensively establish a large number of cattle in Australia. They implanted numerous fertilized cow ova in a rabbit and then sent the rabbit up in a rocket to Australia. That came to be known as the herd shot around the world.

Husker Gary said...

It took a lot of effort but I made it HOME! Devious cluing (agree with C.C. and add Movie props) and a great theme made for a fun respite from 36 holes this morning.

Musings
-Hammerin’ Hank got his BRAVE NEW RECORD without needles and pills. It’s still the one I recognize
-Waterworld the movie lost ~$86M
-Got BARISTAS quickly along with most of the top and thought it was all downhill from there…
-PG-13 rated People Like Us is very dark and somewhat tedious and NOT about people like us. I did OGLE Elizabeth Banks.
-MAMA not Galileo!
-RAGOUTS and NATANT successful WAG’s and unknown SAURON fell out of the former
-Hail Mary’s weren’t prayers or long passes
-TWIX is a frequent choice of mine out of the vending machine
-Our PARADE for John C. Fremont Days draws thousands every year to see essentially the same old things. It’s an election year and so the pols will be spewing and stepping over the manure
-Several of us on the blog have “hung up the spikes”. I’m getting used to it – IM GONE.
-Get your DO RE MI at the A T M.
-“World Without End” are the last words of Old 100th. Sang it ever Sunday PC (pre Catholic)

Yellowrocks said...

HG This is my version of Old 100th.
Link Old 100th

Jayce said...

Husker Gary, there is a city not far from San Jose called Fremont, named after, guess who, John C. Fremont. That guy sure got around.

Yellowrocks, sorry you couldn't connect with your roots to the degree you had hoped to. They say "You can never go back," and my experiences revisiting places of which I have fond memories of spending my childhood and youth proved the truth of that assertion, as they were also less than I expected and rather anti-climactic.

Husker Gary said...

Jayce, My uncle used to work in Fremont, CA at the GM plant there. He loved the Corvair . It's a small country!

Husker Gary said...

Jayce, My uncle used to work in Fremont, CA at the GM plant there. He loved the Corvair . It's a small country!

Avg Joe said...

I didn't know that the two Fremonts were named for the same guy. But here's another strange coincidence. The best Husker Bar in the Bay Area is in Fremont (or so I've even told.)

Jayce said...

Oh, I forgot to ask. I don't get the Pneumatic tube in a drive-thru? : WONDER OF THE BANK clue:answer. For the life of me I can't see what it has to do with pneumatic tubes or drive-throughs. Would someone enlighten me? Thanks!

A small country indeed. My brother's first car was a Corvair; he loved it, but all guys love their first cars.

I bet not all guys remember their first kiss, though.

Hahtoolah said...

Jayce: Wonder of the World / Wonder of the Bank. You know those tubes at the bank's drive through that you can put you check/cash in to make a deposit without ever getting out of your car? My credit union still uses them. That the wonder of the bank.

John Lieb said...

Thanks all for the comments and C.C. for the write-up! Fun to see what you liked about the puzzle...very helpful feedback for someone just starting out in constructing

@Jayce. Pneumatic tube refers to those contraptions at drive thru banks that you put your deposits in and then get sucked up to the teller inside. That was my favorite theme answer as it was based on my then 4 year olds amazement at it as we were using one...a true WONDER OF THE BANK!

PK said...

Enjoyed the clever puzzle, but too many unknowns to finish! Thanks, C.C., we'll miss you next week, but you deserve a break.

Two of my problems were with the spelling of GIORNO and RAGOUTS. Got the first, not the latter.

117A: Wanted Prudoe Sound since I had just finished the Dana Stabenow book which deals with the oil business. Jayce, which Kate Shugak are you on? I just started #5 "Play With Fire". All their slogging around in the snow keeps me cooler mentally on these 100 degree hot summer days.

YR: when I was researching my Pennsylvania Dutch genealogy in 1985 & 7, I wanted to eat PD food. About all I could find was Italian places. So disappointing. The one day we were in Lancaster Co. and found an authentic Amish-type eatery, nobody had any cash on us so just had a drink.

In our area, lots of Louises or Louellas in the older generation. Few men named Lou.

Yellowrocks said...

Jayce, for your kind understanding, thank you.
Wonder of the world. world bank.

Argyle said...

An auspicious start, John, but I'm waiting for a Monday puzzle. ;~)

Anonymous said...

From watching old movies (heh heh)...what about the pneumatic tubes used between floors of that fore-runner of the Mall, the multi-floored department store. (Elevator operator- another job that has bitten the dust- saying with a nasal twang) "Floruh numbuh three, ladies wear, shoes, lingerie. Watch your ste-hup pleeze.""

Bill G. said...

Happy Sunday! I appreciated the write up and John's debut effort in the LAT. I don't know why but this theme didn't attach itself to any of the pleasure centers in my brain. So while I admired and appreciated the puzzle, unlike most everybody else, I didn't enjoy it that much. So, as my mother taught me, if you can't say something nice...

I came across this wonderful colaboration between Alison Kraus and The Cox Family. I enjoyed it so much I just downloaded it from iTunes. Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown

Jayce said...

Hahtoolah and John Lieb, thank you for the explanation; I get it now. BTW I loved those pneumatic tubes and my inquiring mind always wondered how the cartridges ever got to the correct destination.

PK, I'm currently in the midst of the 7th Kate Shugak book, called Breakup. It's somewhat, um, different from the others. You'll like it.

Lucina said...

Jayce@4:20
But girls remember!

I'm expecting my family of four for dinner so I had better get on it!

Next weekend we, by which I mean the extended family of at least 50 expected, will be in Big Bear City, CA for a wedding. The phone lines have been going crazy with exchanges about details.

Spitzboov said...

Re: 46a, Dr Oz. See comic strip in today's paper

Jayce said...

Lucina, yep, girls do remember! Do you remember yours?

PK said...

My first kiss was memorable because we whacked noses rather hard twice angling for position. Then we got the giggles and finally got on target.

Lucina said...

Jayce@7:09
Yes, I do. I was all of thirteen and was visiting my aunt in another city so didn't really have much contact with him except that one time. I learned many years later that he became an alcoholic.

Anonymous said...

Very sad about at least two entries in the July 1 puzzle. I love coffee, Latin (Dominican school in Kosher Canyon), and swimming. Resondeo quod natant means swimming, and barristas do not have perks: they have drip, steep, and espresso.

Unknown said...

I am a little slow getting to this puzzle. When I inquired of the internet for a clue I found this page. Your comment about 106
across? There is a linquistic character in the name Scooby-Doo. The little bar that separates the two parts of his name, or a hyphen? Very tricky!!!
Cathy Gale

Argyle said...

Almost six months late but welcome anytime.