google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday March 24, 2013 Michael Blake & Myles Callum

Advertisements

Mar 24, 2013

Sunday March 24, 2013 Michael Blake & Myles Callum

Theme: "If Ever I Would Leave You" - I is removed from each theme entry.

23A. CliffsNotes bio of a civil rights leader? : CONDENSED MLK. Condensed milk.

36A. Junk-rated salad? : BBB LETTUCE. Bibb lettuce.

64A. Popular cosmetic surgery? : NOSE ABATEMENT. Noise abatement.

92A. Winnebago-driving elder? : OLD MAN RVER.  Old Man River.

111A. Prison? : CON COLLECTOR. Coin collector.

17D. Art teacher's tip for drawing a lion? : REMEMBER THE MANE. Remember the Maine.

42D. What the team's goat mascot did? : SWALLOWED THE BAT. Swallowed the bait.

Noticed there are no extra I's in the theme entry at all? Nice touch. Sometimes we see letters removed from the key words, but not completely from all theme answers.

Of course, there are still 21 I's in non-theme entries. Hard to completely avoid a common letter when there are 375 empty squares to fill.

This grid only has 138 words & 66 black squares. Fairly low compared with the 144 & 78 norm we get on Sundays.

Across:

1. Term attributed to architect Le Corbusier : ART DECO. New trivia to me. More familiar with our Xword stalwart Erté.

8. Black cloud : anger :: light bulb : __ : IDEA

12. Amazon checkout option : GIFT-WRAP

20. Everest climbers : SHERPAs

21. Brits' outerwear : MACs

22. "Who would refuse that?!" : I'D LOVE TO. 8D. "That's about it" : I'M DONE. 35. "My turn" : I'M NEXT. All nice entries.

25. Shoebox creations : DIORAMAS

26. Worshipped : ADORED

27. Five-star : A-ONE

28. "Awakenings" drug : L-DOPA

29. Biblical suffix : ETH

30. Curtail : PARE

31. It can be spun two ways : YARN

33. Author Potok : CHAIM. "My Name is Asher Lev".

35. Hungary's Nagy : IMRE. Learned from doing Xwords.

38. Stereotypical Monroe roles : BIMBOS. Poor Marilyn.

40. TV funded by "Viewers Like You" : PBS

43. Arctic explorer John : RAE

44. Gretzky, once : OILER. Edmonton Oilers.

45. TV reporter Peter : ARNETT. Been out of news for quite some time.

46. Oregon Coast Aquarium city : NEWPORT. Only know the one in RI.

48. "Sesame Street" crank : OSCAR

49. Garson of Hollywood : GREER

50. Some 6-Downs : CLARKS. And 6D. Snack stand array : CANDY BARS

51. NYU, for one : SCH

52. Edinburgh native : SCOT

54. Bonus, in adspeak : XTRA. Love the Xtra serum (left) I got yesterday. Smells divine. Eager to try the shampoo/conditioner after I'm done with this write-up.



57. Beat : PULSE

58. Monkeyshines : ANTICS

61. "Give Peace a Chance" co-songwriter : ONO

62. Crossword solver's ref. book : THES. OK, thesaurus.

63. Lip-reading alternative: Abbr. : ASL

68. Terrestrial newt : EFT

69. Frat jacket P's : RHOS

71. Title for Connery : SIR

72. Online persona : AVATAR. Turn blue! It's very simple.

73. One about to shoot : AIMER

75. Small flightless bird : KIWI

76. Sticks on : ADDS

78. Miguel's "more" : MAS. No mas!

79. Mena of "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" : SUVARI. Never saw the movie. But "Mena" is enough. She's Kevin Spacey's daughter in "American Beauty". (Correction: Spacey's daughter is played by Thora Birch.)

80. Story in la maison : ETAGE

82. Pros' foes : ANTIS

85. Approached dusk : LATENED. Spell check does not like this word.

86. Title for Dickens's Defarge : MADAME

88. Liquid fat : OLEIN

89. It may be tapped : ALE

90. Rare shoe width : EEE

91. Team with a star in its logo : ASTROS. American League now.


95. Slangy negatives : NAHS

96. Getting warm : CLOSE

97. "Uh, excuse me ..." : AHEM

98. Pet pad : CAGE

102. Pavarotti's trio : TRE

103. Not in any way : NO HOW

105. Kindle read : ZINE

107. Colonel Klink's clink : STALAG. Never saw "Hogan's Heroes". Wiki says Stalag is a contraction of Stammlager, "base camp". Stamm = Base, same as our Stem then. Lager = Camp.

109. Applied during a massage : RUBBED IN. Melissa knows her oils.

113. Causing worry : ALARMING

114. Film adventurer, informally : INDY. I only know the films are Indie films. (Argyle: Indiana Jones.)

115. Lose freshness : GO STALE. And 49D. Toast, with "a" : GONER. Minor dupe. GO/GONE. Tough to spot when constructing.

116. '70s fad items shipped in boxes with air holes : PET ROCKS

117. Most '90s Prizms : GEOS

118. Parched : ATHIRST. Kind of like AREEL, ALOP, yes?

Down:

1. Tin Pan Alley gp. : ASCAP

2. Tenant in Carlton the Doorman's building : RHODA. Stumper for me. But Valerie Harper is one brave woman.

3. Voice above baritone : TENOR

4. Snoop Dogg's discoverer : DR. DRE.  Learned this trivia from cluing DRE.

5. Sport with feinting : EPEE

7. William Donovan's WWII org. : OSS. Donovan created OSS and was considered the father of CIA.

9. Rhett's last word : DAMN

10. Varied : ECLECTIC

11. Use the reference desk : ASK

12. More flighty : GIDDIER

13. Down in the dumps, say : IDIOM. Nice clue.

14. Dud : FLOP

15. __ Bora: Afghan mountain area : TORA

16. Harpers Ferry's st. : WVA. Yellowrocks might have visited Harpers Ferry.  She really has an encyclopedic mind.

18. Semi-quickly : AT A TROT

19. Most swanky : POSHEST

24. Title for Devereux : EARL. Earl of Essex.

28. Moms, before knot-tying lessons : LACERS

32. Act as accomplice to : ABET

34. Symbolic dance : HULA

36. On the blink : BROKEN

37. Japanese TV pioneer : TOSHIBA. The TO part stands for Tokyo.

38. MacLane who played General Peterson on "I Dream of Jeannie" : BARTON. Never heard of him. Was it a gimme to you?

39. Spleen : IRE

40. Pirates' home : PNC PARK. Twins play at Target Field. Corporate names!

41. Jim of "According to Jim" : BELUSHI

47. Common string that omits Q : PRS.  Phone. 7.

48. Twice tetra- : OCTA

51. Bergen dummy : SNERD

53. Unconscious states : COMAS

55. Ring figure : REFEREE

56. In the saddle of, traditionally : ASTRIDE

58. Thespian's whisper : ASIDE

59. Ohio cager, briefly : CAV. Can't picture LeBron James returning there.

60. Triathlete's need : STAMINA

65. Siouan speakers : OSAGES

66. Updated midflight nos. : ETAs

67. More high-strung : TAUTER

70. Long-necked strings : SITARs

74. Bobby Rydell's "__ Got Bonnie" : I'VE

77. Sickly-looking : SALLOW

79. King novel with two apostrophes in the title : 'SALEM'S LOT. From Wiki: The story involves a writer named Ben Mears who returns to the town where he lived as a boy between the ages of 9 through 13 (Jerusalem's Lot, or 'Salem's Lot for short) in Maine to discover that the residents are all becoming vampires.



81. Latin lover's word : AMO.

83. Sparks and Beatty : NEDs

84. Mountain, e.g. : TIME ZONE. Art of cluing. "Mountain or Pacific" will give the answer away. 

85. Cleanse : LAVE

86. Seductress : MANTRAP. Hmmm, let me guess what Barry will say: I really wanted MAN EATER. I don't think I've ever seen a woman referred to as a MAN TRAP before.

87. Generally speaking : AS A RULE

88. Chinese teas : OOLONGs

93. Kwan and Kerrigan : NANCYS. "The World of Suzie Wong" is a popular seller at Hong Kong Airport.
94. Prefix with stat : RHEO

96. Armor problem : CHINK. Alright!

98. Sonoran flora : CACTI

99. A train may be headed for it : ALTAR. Great clue.

100. Plymouth pokies : GAOLs. The beauty salon I visited in Guangzhou is next to a police station. I heard beating and crying all the times and thought nothing of human rights or whatever. I just thought those bad guys deserved the punishment. No surprise I'm for waterboarding.

101. Wetlands wader : EGRET

103. 2013 Northeast superstorm : NEMO. The blizzard.

104. Like Pindar's poetry : ODIC

106. Chinese intro : INDO. Indochina. The real intro is "Ni hao" ("Hello!"). Ni = You. Hao = Good. Sounds very ungrammatical, doesn't it? "You're very beautiful" in Chinese is "Ni Hen Piao Liang", literally "You very beautiful".  Ungrammatical too. Ni = You. Hen = Very. Piao Liang = Beautiful. No "are" in this case.
108. "Intelligence for Your Life" radio host : TESH (John)

110. Cold comment : BRR

111. Short pack item : CIG

112. Flushing Bay airport letters : LGA


C.C.

52 comments:

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Really enjoyed the theme today. Figured it out very quickly and, as a result, was able to throw down REMEMBER THE MANE based solely on the clue with no perp help. Love it when that happens...

The only theme answer I struggled with was BBB LETTUCE. Not familiar with BBB, and I thought I must have a mistake when I got the three B's from ABET, BROKEN and CANDY BARS. I knew ABET was solid, but I took out BARS and BROKEN for awhile. The fact that I didn't know PNC PARK or NEWPORT made that section a real challenge. I finally decided to just accept that BBB meant something, and that let me made an educated guess at the crossing PNC PARK and NEWPORT. I mean, P_C could have been anything, but what else could _EWPORT be?

[towvia]

Dennis said...

Good morning, gang - this one was a lot of fun to solve, even though the title gave away the theme. And the theme was very well executed, especially (as CC pointed out) the fact that there were no 'i's anywhere in the theme answers.

The puzzle seemed a bit easier than past Sundays - I pretty much had steady progress from start to finish, with only one write-over where I put OLEAN for 'Liquid fat'. As with Barry, perps helped in spots, including Portland's aquarium city, BARTON MacLane and the King title. Got a kick out of BIMBOS, and favorite answer was SWALLOWED THE BAT, for some reason.

Ninety degree day here today; off to enjoy it, and celebrate one year in Florida.

HeartRx said...

Good morning C.C. et al.

This was a pretty smooth solve start to finish. Like Barry, I immediately filled in REMEMBER THE MANE, so that gave me really good traction down the east coast, and revealed the theme. In the NW I didn’t remember RHODA, DR DRE or what term Corbusier invented. I finally figured out CONDENSED MLK, and fixed that area. My last fill, ironically, was I’M DONE.

Favorite entries were OLD MAN RVER and CON COLLECTOR. Least favorite fill was ATHIRST – gack! Best (read: “most devious”) clue was “A train may be headed for it,” for ALTAR.

Clara Bow played the vixen in a silent movie called MANTRAP, based on the book by Sinclair Lewis. Oddly, the title of the film refers to the city they move to, not the vixen herself!

Have a relaxing Sunday, everyone.

Small Business Owner said...

BBB is the Better Business Bureau.

Lester said...

Kevin Spacey becomes infatuated with Mena Suvari in American Beauty. Mena is his daughter's friend. Scene

desper-otto said...

Good morning, all!

This puzzle was fun with a theme that even I could figure out. Had some problems in the south, because I'd picked SINO rather than INDO. INDY fixed that. My phone has PQRS over the seven -- no missing letter.

Barry, BBB refers to bond ratings, thus the "junk" connotation. The N in PNC was also my last fill.

Grammarians arise! The district council in Mid Devon is going to consider abolishing the apostrophe.

Lester said...

BBB is for Bonds

Yellowrocks said...

I had so much fun with this puzzle and enjoyed CC’s blog. I like hearing about the Chinese words.
CC, yes I have been to Harpers Ferry a Civil war site, three times. My family loves the WV mountains. One of my sisters who went with me and I are very interested in the Civil War. I have read a lot about John Brown.
I had THES, but didn’t think of thesaurus which I use all the time when I write.
D.O. I thought of Better Business bureau for BBB, but that really doesn’t fit “junk.” I like your explanation better.
I have always liked the word étagère, a piece of furniture with open shelves to display knick-knacks, because it sounds elegant..It was not too great a leap from that to ETAGE, a story in a building. Think of story as in “ a two story house.”
ATHIRST appears many places in the King James Bible. Here is one of the mosty common quotes.
“Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or ATHIRST, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? / Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.”
I wanted Pittsburg for the Pirayes, but it was too long. The RK ending gave me the answer.
LATEN and MANTRAP seem common enough.

Argyle said...

No reason I should be the only one with an earworm. If Ever I would Leave You. Dennis might want to pause at 0:32.

Dennis said...

JULIE!!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone. Good intro, C.C.

WEES. Perps were ample thus not requiring lookups for unknowns like SUVARI and BARTON. I first learned IMRE while watching news coverage of the '56 Hungarian revolution. He was executed afterwards by the Soviets. Tough times.


Teacher: Tell me a sentence that starts with an "I".

Student: I is the...
Teacher: Stop! Never put 'is' after an "I". Always put 'am' after an "I".
Student: OK. I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.

fermatprime said...

Hello, all!

Swell puzzle, Michael and Myles! Great expo, CC!

I am very tired, so this took a long time. However, no cheats. Hallelujah! Unlike yesterday's disaster. (I grew impatient after 20 min. and turned on red. Then done in 30 min.)

Did not know that 'Salem's Lot had an apostrophe at the beginning.

Had a good swim yesterday! What a relief!

So PARE means curtail? Put it in but didn't see it.

Still have to go through DWP bills and separate water and power. Yuck.

PK: so you are allergic to cheese and tomato?

Have a great day, all!

Science Guy said...

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is it naked or homeless?

emjay said...

Loved your comments, C.C.
Could someone please tell me what ASL stands for?
I enjoyed the puzzle and its theme - especially "nose abatement."

PK said...

Hi Y'all, I quickly filled in the NW corner block and got the expected missing "I" in MLK and thought I was on a roll. NOT! Didn't remember BIBB was spelled with 3 "b's". Didn't know Amazon GIFT WRAPped--I only get Kindle books there. Didn't know WINNEBAGO was a RiVER. Oh, RV as in rec.veh.! Duh!

Oh well, an engrossing diversion for a snowy day, Michael. Lots of learning moments. Thanks! Very nice, C. C., thanks!

25a Shoebox creations threw me because that is the brand name of a line of greeting cards.

2A Who could forget the voice of Carleton the doorman over the intercom on RHODA? He was never seen. A favorite show at the time.

Didn't know names for Savari, Arnett, Barton, Tesh.

Didn't remember Harper's Ferry was in WVA. One of my ancestors who died in the Civil War was born in that state.

Apostrophe where? You're kidding... Don't read King after the first one.

PK said...

All the snow has postponed my post-birthday lunch with my daughter. However, we gabbed on the phone for 45 minutes which helped assuage the cabin fever. I'll have something to look forward to next week, I hope. (Spell check just red-lined "hope". Does that mean I have to be hopeless?)

Argyle said...

emjay@11:14

ASL - American Sign Language

desper-otto said...

EmJay@11:14 -- ASL = American Sign Language

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

A typical Sunday offering with just enough bite to make it challenging. Caught the theme quickly and finished w/o help but needed some perps along the way. Cute clue for altar.

Learning moment, thanks to CC's fine expo, was Salem being short for Jerusalem. I never read that book but always assumed it referred to Salem, MA, home of the witch trials.

Speaking of the OSS and CIA, I watched "J. Edgar" last night. It was a good depiction of a very flawed man who personified that adage about power and corruption. I also watched "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" but found it slow and confusing, so about half-way through it, I fast-forwarded to identify the mole.

Have a nice Sunday. (Cold and gloomy March day here.)

Lucina said...

Hello, weekend solvers!

Smooth sailing through most of this sea of cells with two Naticks L-DOPA and NEWPORT. Finally resorted to Google. REMEMBER THE MANE was my first theme fill, too. Very clever.

Oh, oh, the baby's up and I have to go.

Fun puzzle by Michael Blank and Myles Callum. Thank you.

Great expo, C.C.
Later, all!

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall that the audience reaction to the line "sockdologizing(?) old mantrap" was used by Boothe to cover the sound of the pistol shot when he killed Lincoln.

River Doc said...

Happy Sunday everyone!

To steal a clue answer from Rhett, DAMN it, I came within one red letter of the Ta-Da. Had several write-overs during the course of the puzzle, but did not go back to fix the first letter of Oolongs…. Still, less than an hour for a Sunday stumper, and got all the theme answers…. Hands up for Remember the Mane being the Rosetta Stone….

Speaking of which, I had the chance to check out the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum last month….

Dallas for Astros, Keg for Ale, Phis for Rhos, Never for No How, Dora for Indy, Strads for Sitars, Epic for Odic, all eventually conquered by perps….

EEE may be a rare shoe size, but it’s a very common x-word answer….

Didn’t like seeing Cage for a Pet Pad…. Just sayin’….

PNC Park and Astros have me “Jones-ing” for Opening Day….

BBB lettuce – never heard of Bibb…. Oh well….

These days, whenever I see the word Bimbo I think of the ubiquitous bakery vans cruising Vegas streets. Bimbo USA is a part of Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo, and it’s now the largest bakery company in the U.S., according to Wiki. Still, not particularly PC….

Regarding apostrophes (D-O @8:29), frankly I’m appalled. Sign of the apocalypse, or just further evidence of the dumbing down of our society? It never ceases to amaze me when so-called literate people add that apostrophe when spelling the plural of a word. The one that I have grudgingly come to accept is how the Oakland A’s shorten their team name. In this case, the apostrophe is in place of the rest of the full word, Athletics, but it’s also a plural, so….

61Rampy said...

I too, caught onto the theme right away. I too, thought it was going to be a speed run, and I was mostly right. Except in the NE and South Central. Has OLEaN instead of OLEIN, which threw off my answer for Mountain. I was thinking TaMEd ONE. Not happy with ZINE for Kindle read- What happened to E-ZINE??? Overall, however, decent Sunday puzzle.

Yellowrocks said...

Although good grammar has many absolute rules, there are far more gray areas and fewer hard and fast rules than we would like to think. Style books differ. Often the choice is a matter of style rather than absolutes.
The Grammar Girl site linked below is quite conservative. Its author consults many authorities.
Link Apostrophe
I believe that changing standards do not mean that language is going to h*ll in a hand basket. As I've said many times, we do not use the same rules that well respected writers used long ago. Their language sounds quite archaic now.
This is true in many areas. For instance, during the Civil War era it was scandalous for women to show their ankles. These days seeing ladies’ ankles causes no moral outrage in our culture

PK said...

Yr, these days no one ever notices a woman's ankles with so much else on display. LOL!

I didn't even see IMZE till now. Good thing. I would have been sure it was wrong and the red letters weren't working.

Yay, it has stopped snowing.

River Doc said...

Best EVER use of the word appalled, imho….

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. I liked this puzzle but for some reason I had to struggle to solve it. It is much easier in hindsight. A wavelength mismatch, perhaps.
Dennis, I also liked SWALLOWED THE BAT, for some reason. What an image!
I keep forgetting EPEE is also a sport.
I don't like fill such as LACER, AIMER, and ATHIRST. GONER was nifty, though. Lots of really neat-o fill.
I read only one of Stephen King's books (The Stand) and never had the desire to read another one. Maybe Misery would be okay, but I already saw the movie. At least it made sense.
Women have ankles? LOL
Best wishes to you all.

Qli said...

Very crunchy for me, but I enjoyed it anyway.

We always had BIBB lettuce in our garden when I was growing up. A lot easier to wash and more flavorful, than the curly kind of leaf lettuce, IMHO.

Thanks for the interesting notes on Chinese grammar, C. C. Interesting beauty shop story, too. We are all so influenced by our environments, aren't we?

Wonder if this puzzle was used at this time because of the RHODA reference, in light of Valerie Harper's brain cancer diagnosis? or was it just a coincidence?

Abejo said...

Good afternoon, folks. Thank you, Michael and Miles, for a swell puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for the swell review.

Got started just fine. Picked up on the theme after BBB LETTUCE. I am familiar with Bibb Lettuce.

Knew IMRE Nagy from other puzzles. Also, a good friend of mine from many years ago was in that revolution in the mid-fifties and was able to escape. His first name was Gabor.

Everything fell together until I got to the SE corner. That was my hang-up. Never heard of the King book. I do not read Steven King. Did not know Mena SUVARI. Could not get CON COLLECTOR because of a couple errors in crosswords in that area. I stared at that corner for over an hour. Finally gave up.

Other than all that, I really enjoyed the puzzle. It was very well constructed.

Had Palms today in church.

Now that my day is almost shot, I have stuff to do. Band practice tonight.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

(oniati)
(lyzedmi)
(emreend)

Laurie said...

I was stumped by LATENED - new one for me. This was a fun puzzle today, once I got the theme figured out.

Argyle said...

Greetings, Laurie, we can use another dog person here.

Bill G. said...

That puzzle took me a while. No walk in the park but a pleasant Sunday diversion. Thanks MM and CC.

I used to grow Bibb lettuce in my garden. Now you can get it live with the root stem still attached at the supermarket. It's a very nice variety of lettuce, maybe one of the best IMO.

Did you get to watch the animated love story I linked late last night? Really something special I thought. I see that Lucina liked it too.

Irish Miss said...

TTP @ 6:00 am - That commercial is precious and that little girl is perfectly charming. I normally tune-out mentally when commercials come on, but I make a point of watching this one.

Bill G @ 4:21 - Your animated love story was quite poignant; thanks formsharing it.

Lucina said...

That's the thing I like about BIBB lettuce; you can buy it live and it keeps for several days as well as being tasty.

My daughter is a King fan and has read most of his books. Recently I heard he has no use for adverbs so that further distanced him from me. I think adverbs are lovely and add to the richness of language.

I took my girls, er, granddaughters, home so now all is quiet.

Anonymous said...

Good evening everyone.

Thanks C.C. for the write up. I must agree with anon who was upset with your comments about the beauty shop. I too am upset. Don't like water boarding either.

My phone also has pqrs next to 7. And Vegas Doc I completely agree with your point about CAGE for pet pad. And I agree with your comments about apostrophes.

But aside from all that, I DNF. Didn't even come close. But tomorrow is Monday, thank goodness.

Cheers

Montana said...

Welcome Laurie,
It is wonderful to get another Montanan here.

Montana

Bill G. said...

Vegas Doc (12:01), I agree. When I see apostrophes used with plurals, it's just sad. Regarding the Oakland A's, I think that is where grammar has to be smart and useful. The Oakland As would look weird. If their team were the Oakland Ks, I don't think the apostrophe would be necessary or desirable.

I went to The Coffee Bean, a local java emporium. There were a number of high school students being very social though I'm guessing they all told their parents it was an important study session. One girl was wearing 'shorts' that were about like panties; brief with thin material. I hung around a few minutes extra doing research on the phenomenon. I was appalled I tell you, simply appalled!

Crispy816 said...

Hello All,

Yes, a newbie here! Just wanted to say how much I liked this puzzle, though OLEIN had me stumped for a while. Picked up the theme with BBB LETTUCE. I usually get the puzzle from the NY Post where no title is printed, or authors. Hope to be back soon!

River Doc said...

Bill G @7:07, your "research" reminds me of the recent brouhaha about those ultra sheer yoga pants....

BTW, I was born in Manhattan Beach. 609 18th street. The house looked a lot different in the 50s....

Barry G. said...

Oh, I almost forgot...

I really resisted putting in MANTRAP for 86D. I really wanted MAN EATER. I don't think I've ever seen a woman referred to as a MAN TRAP before.

^_^

Husker Gary said...

BRR here in 40°F (wind chill 30°F) Memphis as we head out of the Deep South and start to head home and switched back to CDT as we went from GA to AL. I finally got a paper edition of the LA Times Puzzle in the Atlanta Journal but had to do it in ink on a bus on our Elvis pilgrimage – Atlanta to Tupelo to Memphis. We are scheduled for a dinner cruise on the Mississippi in Hannibal, MO but it is supposed to be snowing and 32°F. Spring? Yeah, right!
Going out for supper.

Lucina said...

Welcome, Laurie and Crispy816!

Spitzboov said...

Welcome aboard Laurie and Crispy 816.

Some puns:

I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.

I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.

All the toilets in New York 's police stations have been stolen. Police have nothing to go on.

I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.

Bill G. said...

Vegas Doc said, "BTW, I was born in Manhattan Beach. 609 18th street. The house looked a lot different in the 50s...."

I'll bet. Have you been back to visit the area? I'm about 20 blocks away. I've been here since 1963. We bought our house in 1969. We couldn't afford it now.

Here's one more to add to Spitz's: A woman has twins, and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt, and is named 'Ahmal.' The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him 'Juan.'
Years later, Juan sends a picture of himself to his birth mother.
Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wishes she also had a picture of Ahmal.
Her husband responds, "They're twins! If you've seen Juan, you've seen Ahmal."

Blue Iris said...

Welcome Laura from Montana! How nice for you to join us! Are you snowed in? It snowed steadily last night, but it will melt enough to keep the roads clear here in Kansas. Still too cold for last week in March. Saw in the newspaper that little children had to bundle up to participate in the Governor's Easter Egghunt.

YR, We have a huge mural of John Brown of bleeding Kansas in the State Capitol Building. May be able to see it by linking kshs.org. It's called a "Tragic Prelude."

Downtonabbey, I just finished the 1st season of Downton Abbey. It certainly draws you in slowly but surely. I don't like that the villaneous maid is named O'Brien?!?! (My last name)

I must say after last weekend, I feel vindicated by yesterday and today's puzzles. I think this was the most doable Sunday puzzle in a long time. No speed run but a very enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Blue Iris said...

Bill G,
Funny joke!
Here's one I hope you haven't heard...

Two K-State veterinarian students hit a rabbit with their car while driving back to school. They tried to revive the rabbit by administering CPR but to no avail. A farmer came over from his field and ask if he could help. He removed a bottle out of his back pocket and sprinkled some liquid on the rabbit. The rabbit jumped up, shook himself off and then hopped away and turned around and waved. He continued hopping and waving until he was out of sight. The two K-State students ask the farmer,"What was in that bottle!?"
The farmer replied, "A Hare Restorer with a Permanent Wave."

Bill G. said...

After watching the segment on 60 Minutes about the Russian girl band in serious trouble for protesting, it makes me thankful all over again for our Bill of Rights.

Yep, that O'Brien is certainly a meanie. I'm sure she got more than her share of the O'Brien mean genes. Thomas got a bunch too.

Blue Iris O'Brien, good one! It's a new one on me. I'll bet most women these days haven't heard of a permanent wave. I don't remember much about them except they weren't permanent and they smelled awful.

Lucina said...

BillG:
LOL! I love your jokes and already e-mailed the one about the twins. HaHaHaHaHa

downtonabbey said...

Blue Iris, so glad you are enjoying the show. I can't wait for the next season. PBS had a good documentary on tonight. Also I enjoyed your joke!

Just finished the puzzle. Tried solving online via Merriam Webster link. I just don't enjoy typing in the letters. I caught the theme which helped. Our weekend starts tonight (my partner works Wed-Sun). He was pretty worn out after the Blessing of the Fleet today. The owlets we are watching after are doing well. Starting to get more adult feathers and less down. The parent owls always stay close by. We have been lowering the makeshift nest we hung in the trees down once a day and checking both babies. It has been such a wonderful learning experience. Great horned owls are very intelligent.

Sweet dreams all here.

Bill G. said...

Hey Lucina, you know I post those jokes specifically for your enjoyment, don't you? :>) I'm glad you liked it.

Have any of you watched Foyle's War? I've heard a little bit about it from a Brit and it sounds like something I might enjoy. I recorded an episode but, like Downton Abbey, I will feel like I'm a bit lost getting in the middle of things.

Anonymous said...

The trouble is that BBB is considered an investment grade rating; junk bonds are rated BB or lower.

Argyle said...

I didn't know that. Thank you.